In order to stay warm, divers often wear some sort of thermal protection, like a "wetsuit". Often this is a neoprene "foamed" material, which traps gas bubbles as the insulating material. For this problem, assume:
- the thermal conductivity is that of air (? = 0.03 W/m-K)
- the suit thickness is d = 1.5 mm
- the area of the suit is A ~2 m2
- the diver's initial body temperature is Td,i?= 37?C (98.6?F)
- the water temperature is Tw?= 5?C
- the diver "weighs" m = 70 kg
- the specific heat of the diver is cd?= 3480 J/kg-K (this is slightly less than the specific heat of water 4184 J/kg-K due to the presence of protein, fat, and minerals)
1) What is the thermal resistance of the suit??
2) What is the heat capacity of the diver?
3)?What is the total amount of heat flow needed to change the diver's temperature from 37?C to 35?C?
4)?Estimate how long (in minutes) the diver can stay in the water (before feeling the effects of hypothermia).
5)?What would the time be if the suit were 8-mm thick instead?
6)?1 calorie is the energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celcius, i.e., the specific heat of water is 1 calorie/g-?C. How many joules is 1 calorie?
1 cal =
7)?A food Calorie (note the capitalization!) is defined as 1000 'physics' calories: 1 Cal = 1 kcal (kilocalorie). How many Calories would our diver have to consume (assuming they?all?went to heating him) in order to make up for the thermal energy lost in cooling from 37?C to 35?C? (This assumes that he leaves the cold water, or that he consumes this many Calories every t minutes, where t is the time calculated above.)
This question was answered on: Oct 07, 2020Buy this answer for only: $15
This attachment is locked
Pay using PayPal (No PayPal account Required) or your credit card . All your purchases are securely protected by .
About this QuestionSTATUS
Oct 07, 2020EXPERT
GET INSTANT HELP/h4>
We have top-notch tutors who can do your essay/homework for you at a reasonable cost and then you can simply use that essay as a template to build your own arguments.
You can also use these solutions:
- As a reference for in-depth understanding of the subject.
- As a source of ideas / reasoning for your own research (if properly referenced)
- For editing and paraphrasing (check your institution's definition of plagiarism and recommended paraphrase).
NEW ASSIGNMENT HELP?
Order New Solution. Quick Turnaround
Click on the button below in order to Order for a New, Original and High-Quality Essay Solutions. New orders are original solutions and precise to your writing instruction requirements. Place a New Order using the button below.
WE GUARANTEE, THAT YOUR PAPER WILL BE WRITTEN FROM SCRATCH AND WITHIN A DEADLINE.