QUESTION 2: WEIGHTED AVERAGE COST OF CAPITAL (22 Marks)
Defence Electronics International (DEI) a large publicly listed company is the market leader in radar detection systems (RDSs). The company is looking to set up a manufacturing plant overseas to produce a new line of RDSs. This will be a five year project. The company bought a piece of land three years ago for $ 7 million in anticipation of using it as a toxic dump site for waste chemicals, but instead built a piping system to discard chemicals safely. If the company sold the land today it would receive $ 6.5 million after taxes. In five years the land can be sold for $4.5 million after taxes and reclamation costs. DEI wants to build a new manufacturing plant on this land. The plant will cost $15 million to build. The following market data on DEI?s securities are current:
150,000, 12% coupon bonds outstanding with 15 years to maturity redeemable at par, selling for 80 percent of par; the bonds have a $100 par value each and make semi-annual coupon interest payments.
300,000 ordinary shares, selling for $75 per share
Non-redeemable Preference shares
20,000 shares (par value $ 100 per share) with 7.2% dividends (before taxes), selling for $72 per share
The following information is relevant:
- ???? ?DEI?s tax rate is 30%
- ???? ?The company had been paying dividends on its ordinary shares consistently. Dividends paid during the past five years is as follows
- ???? ?The project requires $ 900,000 in initial net working capital investment in year 0 to become operational.
- ???? ?Work all solutions to the nearest two decimals. Required:
- Calculate the project?s initial, (time 0) cash flows, taking into account all side effects. (2 MARKS)
- Compute the current weighted average cost of capital (WACC) of DEI. Show all workings and state clearly the assumptions underlying your computations. (12 MARKS)
- Using the WACC computed in part (2) above and assuming the following, compute the project?s Net Present Value (NPV), Internal Rate of Return (IRR) and the Profitability Index (PI)
a. The manufacturing plant has a ten-year tax life and DEI uses straight line method of depreciation for the plant. At the end of the project, (i.e. at the end of year 5), the plant can be scrapped for $ 5 million.
Year (-5) ($)
Year (-4) ($)
Year (-3) ($)
Year (-2) ($)
Year (-1) ($)
Page 4 of 6
- The project will incur $400,000 per annum in fixed costs
- DEI will manufacture 15,000 RDSs per year in each of the years and sell them at $ 1,000 per machine.
- The variable production costs are $ 500 per RDS.
- At the end of year 5, the company will sell the land. (6 MARKS)
4. The new RDS project is somewhat riskier than a typical project for DEI, primarily because the plant is being located overseas. Explain briefly how DEI could accommodate this additional risk factor in the determination of its discount factor?
This question was answered on: Oct 07, 2020
Buy this answer for only: $15
This attachment is locked
We have a ready expert answer for this paper which you can use for in-depth understanding, research editing or paraphrasing. You can buy it or order for a fresh, original and plagiarism-free copy (Deadline assured. Flexible pricing. TurnItIn Report provided)
Pay using PayPal (No PayPal account Required) or your credit card . All your purchases are securely protected by .
About this QuestionSTATUS
Oct 07, 2020EXPERT
GET INSTANT HELP/h4>
We have top-notch tutors who can do your essay/homework for you at a reasonable cost and then you can simply use that essay as a template to build your own arguments.
You can also use these solutions:
- As a reference for in-depth understanding of the subject.
- As a source of ideas / reasoning for your own research (if properly referenced)
- For editing and paraphrasing (check your institution's definition of plagiarism and recommended paraphrase).
NEW ASSIGNMENT HELP?
Order New Solution. Quick Turnaround
Click on the button below in order to Order for a New, Original and High-Quality Essay Solutions. New orders are original solutions and precise to your writing instruction requirements. Place a New Order using the button below.
WE GUARANTEE, THAT YOUR PAPER WILL BE WRITTEN FROM SCRATCH AND WITHIN YOUR SET DEADLINE.